Sunday, August 3, 2008

The perfect Storm



Picture of the island of Hawaii, where I'd have rather been.

I was on call for work this weekend, Fri - Sun I have to be available by phone for scheduling to call me to work each day from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. I typically get called out in the first hour I am on call and then don't have to worry about staying close to the phone, because I am off on a trip. Well, I sat all day Friday, sat all day Saturday, until about 3 p.m. when I decided to check my schedule on line, as I had been doing periodically all day, often they will post my trip before they call me and if I see it I have an early heads up and know they will be calling. When I checked my "screen" as we call it, mine said UTC for unable to contact. What??? I had been sitting at home for hours, my home line was open, my cell phone was within reach, how had they tried to contact me???? I quickly checked my answering machine and sure enough there was a message 27 minutes left 27 minutes earlier. We have 20 minutes to return the call. I missed it by 7. I called in to "scheduling" and since they hadn't assigned my trip to anyone else I was able to still work it and my UTC was converted to an FTR, failure to report. Basically, I only got one point added to my work record instead of 2 and a half. First time in 11 years I have "missed the call". The perfect storm because they called my home line while I was in Markie's room finishing sorting through his clothes in preparation for school, I never heard the phone or the machine. Perfect storm because they must have called my cell at the exact time Nancy was calling me, and their call went to voice mail and didn't show up as a missed call on my cell record. Perfect storm because the third number they contact is Mark's cell, and he was sitting at home also and somehow never heard his cell or the home line ring. Perfect storm and I am off to work with an extra poing on my record and my first UTC or FTR , I say, WTF??????

No comments: