Friday, May 8, 2009

Sleepin at the Zoo






Lizzy's ELP class had a field trip to the zoo. It was a "night camp" which meant she was going to get to sleep at the zoo, and I agreed to chaperone. We arrived at 5:30 in the evening with our sleeping bags and not much else. We were to have no access to showers or even a chance to change clothes the entire time. For the next 15 hours or so we toured the zoo on foot and train, had a barbeque and smores, played games, saw snakes up close and basically had a great time. There were about 60 kids. At 11 p.m. it was time to head to the tents, I had four girls in my tent including Lizzy. It was a long night, slightly warm in the tent, but better than freezing in my opinion. We woke up to the onkeys screaming. The best part was when I awoke at 3 a.m. and had to use the bathroom, surprise, huh? So I told Lizzy I was running to the restroom and surprisingly she was awake at the same time I was. The best was walking to the restroom in the zoo, totally quiet, perfect temperature, probably 65 ish, still as can be. The few moments of quiet knowing I was wandering the zoo in the middle of the night was cool. Anyways, I hurried back to the tent with my 8 year olds, and tried to go back to sleep. Everyone was up by 6, and off we went for more exploration until the magical hour of 9 a.m. when it was time to go home. I am glad I got to chaperone, it was a lot of fun and I am glad Lizzy wanted me to be a part of it!

No comments: